The history of University of Verona started in 1950 when an intellectual elite established the “Ludovico Antonio Muratori” Free High School of Historical Science.
In the 1959, the Major proposed to found in Verona a University Faculty of Economics and Commerce. The new Free Faculty of Economics and Commerce was inaugurated on the 1st of November of the same year. Lessons were held inside Palazzo Giuliari (now home of the Chancellor’s office).
Few years later also the Medical and Surgical section and the Legal section (now become the Faculty of Arts and Philosophy) were established in Verona.
From 1963 to 1982 University of Verona was a branch of the University of Padua. In 1982 the governmental authorities gave Verona the autonomy and status of its university. Since 1982, Verona University has grown over the years till to have 15 departments: “Biotechnology”, “Business Administration”, “Computer Science”, “Economics”, “Foreign Languages and Literatures”, “Law”, “Life and Reproduction Sciences”, “Medicine”, “Neurological and Movement Sciences”, “Pathology and Diagnostics”, “Philology, Literature, and Linguistics”, “Public Health and Community Medicine”, “Surgery”, “Time, Space, Image, Society”. The University continues to grow with new degree courses activate every year.
University of Verona can be ideally divided in two main poles: the one in Veronetta (in the centre of the city), where the humanistic departments and the Polo Zanotto are to be found and one in Borgo Roma (in the Southern part of the city), the site of the Medicine, Biotechnology, and Computer Science departments.
However, departments and degree courses are displaced in several other locations spread inside and outside the province: Legnago (VR), Vicenza, Bolzano, Trento, Ala (TN), and Rovereto (TN).
University of Verona offers also several post lauream opportunities: masters, specialisation and professional training courses, medical sciences schools of specialisation, state examinations, and graduate schools.